The best way to save money for your electricity bills is to think smart. Use these 13 energy cost reduction hacks to reduce the electricity bill at your home.
1# The heat from the oven
We all use our oven once in a while to make some delicious food. But it can also help save some money on the electricity bill.
Instead of keeping the oven closed after you used it, then let it be open. The warm from inside the oven can easily be used to help warming up the rest of your house/or apartment.
2# Look at the prices
Time does matter. It can be a great idea to check the prices for electricity. Often it’s much cheaper to use electricity at night due to lower demand and a high supply. That’s why I prefer setting a timer on my washing machine for 03:00 in the morning.
It can be hard to schedule all the energy-consuming activities to take place at night, and some are physical impossible to execute, when you’re not awake. But as a thumb of rule, try scheduling you electricity demanding activities to take place at night – You’ll be see an instant change on your bills.
3# Lower the heat in wintertimes
No one likes to be cold, but it’s actually okay to turn down the heat to a level where a sweater is needed. No need for that naked-walking-around in the house — save it for the summer.
In winter times, we often warm up our houses to a degree where you don’t know if it’s a house or a sauna anymore. Don’t do that, I bet you have a cool sweater or a hoodie laying around that you could wear inside in the winter months. Try wearing those instead of transforming your house to a sauna – Your electricity bill will thank you later.
Other saving tips at wintertimes:
- 4# Put your heating on a timer, so it comes on when you need it
- 5# Turn your heating off when no one’s home
- 6# Use your fireplace if you have one
7# Litt it up (Suits reference)
Put lids on the pots when cooking, and use less water when cooking eggs, potatoes, etc.
If you boil potatoes in 0.4 to 0.9 cups of water instead of filling the pot, you reduce the electricity consumption by 30 percent. It also pays off to have the right pots for the right stove. The bottom of pots and pans also must be flat to make optimal use of the heat.
Who doesn’t want to save 30 percent when using a stove? So go litt it up!
Extra saving tips
- 8# Avoid using a dryer if you have the opportunity to dry your clothes outside.
- 9# If you preheat an oven in connection with baked goods or dishes, you can consider the possibility of making several dishes while the oven is still hot.
- 10# Turn off the light when not in use and use LED bulbs in all lamps.
- 11# Take advantage of daylight. Move work, reading, and play areas to the window.
- 12# Most households can save 15-20 percent on electricity consumption for lighting without compromising on quality.
- 13# Unplug devices when not in use
Your electricity bill is a place where you can save a decent amount of money if you just put your mind to it, and if you become aware of these 13 small hacks. Try it out for yourself.
Read more about money advice here